The Koufonisia islands are two small islets of the small Cyclades of Greece. The upper Koufonisi and lower Koufonisi are hard to locate even on a map, but offer infinite beauty capable of seducing even the most restrained visitor!
Many things could be said to describe them, however in reality they defy description. No words can truly illustrate the magic the visitor experiences from the very first moment they set foot on the Koufonisia islands.
The Aegean seas sun bathes the golden beaches and turquoise waters where the sea has sculpted the rocks into unique shapes and sea caves from whence the names of the islands are derived (Koufonisia – Hollow islands). Neighboring Keros captures the eye and the friendly, hospitable people make you feel as though you were part of one big happy group.
The Koufonisia have fanatic friends, whoever gets a taste of the extraordinary beauty never abandons them. In fact, for many years the recurring vacationers attempted to hide the destination of their vacations.
The years have gone by and the secret has gotten out, many have learned about these islands so you will not be totally alone. Every year new visitors disembark on the islands and new accommodations are being constructed (hotel, apartments, studios, and rooms to rent) are being built to cover their needs. The Koufonisia have just entered the tourist list.
However, every image and indication of the old way is still apparent to be seen, the magic and the positive energy is still there, and it still makes people feel lucky to have discovered this secret paradise on the Cyclades islands.
- COUNTRY – BATHROOM – PARIANOS – LIMENARI – XYLOPATIS – PORI – PLATIA POUNTA (ITALIAN) – LAMP – PHOENIX – CHARAKOPOU – GIALOS WHO MAKES THE JOURNEY ROUND THE ISLAND FOLLOWING COAST LINE
- COUNTRY – PROPHET ELIAS – ANO MERIA – ROUTE TO VIEW BELOW COOL ISLAND PATHS
- KARNAGIA PAROS & KARNAGIA FINIKA
- THE ‘POOLS’
- SEA CAVES
- KATO KOUFONISSI
- ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE KEROS
- AGIOS GEORGIOS
In Chora, picturesque capital of Koufonisi, don’t miss a visit to the church of St. George, with its characteristic polygonal blue dome and its tall bell tower. As St. George is considered the protector of the island, on his feast day you can participate in the procession of his icon, followed by a festival where traditional food and wine is offered freely to all guests, accompanied by dancing with the sounds of traditional instruments.
- AGIOS NIKOLAOS
Close to the port of Koufonisia lies the church of Agios Nikolaos and at the highest point of the island stands the church of Prophet Elia
- CIVIC OFFICE TEL.: +30 22850 71379
- K.E.P TEL.: +30 22850 29243, +30 22850 74188
- S.T.E.K. TEL.: +30 22850 74118
- POLICE STATION TEL.: +30 22850 71375
- PORT AUTHORITIES TEL.: +30 22850 22300
- MEDICAL CENTER INFIRMARY TEL.: +30 22850 71370
- PHARMACY TEL.: +30 6947929292
- POST OFFICE TEL.: +30 22850 74214
- Α.Τ.Μ. TEL.: +30 22850 74214
- NEWSPAPERS TEL.: +30 22850 71833
- TICKET OFFICE TEL.: +30 22850 71438
- SEA TRANSPORTATION TEL.: +30 22850 71438, +30 6945042548
- GAS STATION TEL.: +30 63977982701
- RENT A BICYCLE TEL.: +30 69732211829
- PUBLIC SCHOOL TEL.: +30 22850 71446, +30 22850 71391
- SOCCER FIELD 5Χ5
- BOAT YARD 71694
- QUAY FOR BOATS
Akron Hellas net – Blue Guides Koufonisia