- ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM (CHORA) TEl.: +30 22890 22325
The Archaeological Museum, located alongside the harbor, was built circa 1900, mainly to house finds from the excavation of the “Pit of Purification” (dating from the 5th century B.C.) and the necropolis of Rhenia. There is a large collection of vessels especially represented of Cycladic ceramics dating from the Geometric period until the 6th cent. B.C. Also on exhibit are wonderful black figure and red figure pottery and diverse finds, including Hellenistic period gravestones and other sculpture. Among the finds from Mykonos, especially impressive is the “Pithos of Mykonos”: a large jar, (made in a workshop on Tinos the 7th cent. B.C.) Richly decorated with bas – relief zones of bas-relief depicting various scenes from the Trojan War (the central composition shows Achaian warriors with the Trojan Horse).
Open 8:30 a.m to 3:00 p.m, daily except Monday and major public
- AEGEAN MARITIME MUSEUM (CHORA) TEl.: +30 22890 22700
Located by the Three Wells, next door to Lena’s House, this museum displays scale models of various rowing boats, sailing vessels and steam-powered ships which, in turn, from Prehistoric times until the present, have traversed the Aegean.
Also there is a rich collection of maps and other engravings can be seen a collection of reproductions of ancient gravestones, carved with sea-themes; there, as well, is the tower with the mechanism of the Armenisti Lighthouse (1889). The “EVANGELISTRIA”, a traditional sailing vessel belonging to the museum, is moored every summer in the old harbor where it may be boarded by interested visitors. Open, April to October, daily, 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and evenings from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.
- FOLKLORE MUSEUM (CHORA) TEl.: +30 22890 22591, +30 22890 22748
The Folklore Museum is the located in an old, two-story, captain’s house in the Kastro of Mykonos town, a few meters distant from the proud Paraportiani church.
There are six main exhibition halls which house collections of antique furniture, Byzantine icons, Folkloric ceramics, historical commemorative plates, decorative prints and gravures, as well as embroidered and hard-woven fabrics, locks and keys, weights and measures, a lovely collection of model boats, and other historical artifacts. There are also import archives of manuscripts and printed matter, photographs, maps and a significant library. Open from April to October 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. daily except Sundays.
- AGRICULTURAL MUSEUM (ANO MILI) TEl.: +30 22890 26246, +30 22890 22748
The first, located on the edge of the town at Apono Mili, is an outdoor museum, which presents the traditional Mykonian agricultural installation used for the production and processing of farm products: the threshing floor, the well, the oven, wine-press, etc. The museums centerpiece is the Boni Windmill, which is in full working order and may be visited from June to September daily, 4:00-8:00 p.m. (tel.: +30 22890 – 26 246) The second, near the Three Wells, is a charmingly preserved, authentic 19th century Mykonian middle-class dwelling, which is completely furnished and equipped with antique furniture and house utensils. Open evenings, except Sundays, from April to October, 6:30p.m. to 9:30p.m.
- ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM of DELOS (DELOS) TEl.: +30 22890 22259
Delos Museum erected at 1904 with the expense of the Athens Archaeological Society. The original building included the five western classrooms, plus several more in 1931 and 1972. In the same period have been huge, but unfortunate, changes in the appearance of the building.
The present report contains nine galleries: in six of them out the sculptures and reliefs found on Delos, one of the best collections in the world. Two classrooms to include prehistoric pottery and ysteroellinistikon years and another out various miniature found in the private homes of Delos. The report is not yet complete.
Epitymvia statues and columns of the 7 th – 1 st century BC
Vases of instruments of the 3 rd millennium – 1 st century BC
Idols 2 nd – 1 st century BC
Jewelry and small items of 2 nd – 1 st century BC
Mosaics of 2 nd – 1 st century BC
Key exhibits: plate with ivory relief of Mykinaiou warrior that was found in Artemision torso Kouros from the temple of Apollo, marble cluster Vorrea which snaps the princess of Attica Oreithyia and was the temple of Athens, statues Dioskouridi and his wife, Cleopatra – Athenians living in Delos – found at the home of the couple, in the area of theatre, statue of Apollo in the press of the Lyceum of Praxitelous Apollo – the god based in the trunk of a tree and clicks on Gallic shields – from the area of theatre, bronze facade bearded Dionysus who diadima bodies and ivy wreath and found south of the Market Kompetaliaston, Corinthian alabaster – a vase for perfumed oil with a Potnias Thiron between two swans – found in Iraio, headed triangular pedestal Kouros statue – with relief head crushed in a corner gorgoneia and the other two – from the Temple of Apollo, Archaic daughter – veil zosmeno bodies in the middle, which is decorated in the middle of the front with vertical film debossed double meandros – found from the Temple of Apollo and is considered one of the oldest existing large plastic, fresco from the outside wall of a house in the area where Skardana represented by Hercules, and two pygmachoi male form plays flute or trumpet.